Sunday, January 22, 2017

About This Blog

(Updated January 15, 2021)

Salvete omnes! My name is Chris and I teach Latin in a public school district in Central New York. This blog will chronicle various techniques and teaching strategies that I have begun to employ with my Latin students. I teach a CI curriculum in all levels based on thematic cultural units. In my previous school I used Ecce Romani as a basis for vocabulary and curriculum mapping. In my Latin 1 and 2 classes especially, I have initiated a transition to teaching with Comprehensible Input (CI), utilizing the theory of Second Language Acquisition (SLA) developed by Stephen Krashen and other scholars. My preferred method is now what many of us would call a CI Hybrid, that is, taking elements of the textbook and making it more meaningful and relevant to our student population. Input in the language must be compelling if one wishes to acquire it. That has become my general goal.

I thank you for your interest in reading this and I look forward to sharing best practices with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment